<VV> The Great Fan Belt Toss (Motoring Generator)

John jdozsa@carr.org
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:48:31 -0400

Your generator kept running because you do not have the correct (OEM
factory spec) voltage regulator.  The Corvair generator voltage
regulator is a special low cut out design to prevent exactly what
happened to you.

A DC generator (not alternator) is exactly the same as a DC motor.  Each
has field (stator) windings and armature (rotor) windings.  Used as a
generator, current in the field winding produces a magnetic field.
Mechanically rotate the armature and you produce current in the armature
windings.  This is rectified by the commutator (the thing the brushes
rub against).  Vola a generator!

Take that same generator, supply current to the field windings from a
battery to produce a magnetic field and you have a motor.  But the
generator, that wants to be a motor, doesn't have a motor starting
winding.  Well it doesn't need one.  It was already spinning when the
belt broke.  It will just keep running until the battery that supplies
the field current dies.  The correct (low drop out) voltage regulator
will break the field current stoping the motor action.  Exactly what you
did when you disconnected the battery.

John Dozsa