<VV> Worthless awards, was:Concours philosophy

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:54:03 -0400

>On the other hand, I would favor the return to the "first, second,
>third" award system. Sure, a lot of people would be unhappy when they
>didn't get first in their class. But what awards they DID get would mean
>something. And wouldn't you rather have an award that actually meant
>something?

I have been silent on this issue because I don't compete in concours... though Chuck has shown me you can DRIVE a Seniors Level Concours car.

But as a system, I _like_ the awards levels. If I work hard enough to prepare and bring a car to the Convention that would score a 95... then I have
one of the nicest Corvairs in the country and it should be recognized as such. But if three 96 point cars also show up, I get nothing for my efforts... and
the car gets no recognition.

You want 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? Fine. I though we did that within the scoring system anyway. That it's very clear who of the Gold Award winners has the #
1 car. But by retaining the Awards level, you rewarding effort, letting the car be judged aginst itself (rather than against Darth or a Darth-quality car),
and therefore encouraging participation.

Who knows... one day I _might_ prepare a car for concours. Not overly likely... but would be a lot less likely if I know three of the top cars in my class
will be attending.

Just my 0.02... likely my first and last post on concours.

Bill Elliott