<VV> Re: 65 vs 62 Turbo

SPYDER62@aol.com SPYDER62@aol.com
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:54:17 EDT

In a message dated 6/10/2004 10:37:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
flash@vicspdi.com writes:
Query ... do you find the 62 comes onto boost sooner (e.g. has less
lag).  I have had two 65s and now have a 62 and I find the 62 to have much
less lag.  I get some boost in 1st, more in 2nd, and maximum in 3rd and
4th.  On my 65s, nothing till 3rd.  The 62 seems more tractable and easier
for daily driving and I really don't think it has any less performance than
the 65s (it does have the advantage of no smog at all).  It may be that the
smaller engine is better matched to the turbine size and exhaust size in
the 62.  For the bigger engine they did not increase exhaust size although
for 65+ the turbo is different.  Curious if you find the same.

 Well, have not driven the 62 in a few long years but it did spool up fast
but being a Convert is not the fastest thing around. It was very easy to drive
in fact my EX drove it all the time and never drove the 64 110. As for the
65's, the one I drive now has an early turbo on it and start to show positive
pressure in the top of first by third gear it is at about 15" on the factory gage
do need to get a good gage here one of these days. Will but a late unit on it
later this summer and see how it runs, then will do an early turbine with late
compressor to see what is best.
 One nice thing about a Vair turbo is that is does not come on right now like
my Shelby GHLS. a slight lag then hold on makes it fun in the middle of a
turn. with the Vair I just get on the gas before the apex and let it spool up.
When I autocrossed my 65 turbo back in the late 60's it was the car to beat.
Rich
www.shepswoodncrafts.com
68 Datsun roadster
8 Corvairs