<VV> Re: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #553 - 11 msgs

Gary mopar@jbcs2.net
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 05:34:31 -0400

> From: airvair <airvair@richnet.net>
> Cc: virtualvairs@corvair.org
> Subject: <VV> Worthless awards, was:Concours philosophy

snip>
> Conversely, a "first, second, third" award system automatically
> compensates for any varience in judging abilities due to us being human.
> It only requires consistancy, which, after judging for more years than I
> can count, I can attest to CORSA judges' consistancy between cars in any
> given class. (There is a rule that the same team of judges has to judge
> every car in a given class, if at all possible. This eliminates human
> differences between teams making a difference in cars' ranks.) Scores
> don't mean quite as much as rank, so when you DO get a first, it means
> you are the best among your peers. Which makes PROPER classification
> very important.

If first, second, third is what you want, that already exists for the
peoples choice!
The concours is a prestige event and it does mean a lot to a lot of us.
Bringing it into a first second and third situation would be discouraging
enough that the amount of competitors would diminish significantly, most of
the classes would have their "senior" 3, but technically another car that
would otherwise be a senior would go away empty handed. And those with
lesser cars would lose interest!
I myself am quite happy with my awards, especially when the score is on the
plaque itself.
But how would you feel to go home empty handed by one point, which during
scoring is only a fraction of a point!

Worthless Awards! I think not!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary Swiatowy
leave well enough alone............