<VV> EUM Springy stumble

kaczmarek@charter.net kaczmarek@charter.net
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:15:16 +0000

All

After getting a couple of minor problems fixed on the EUM...
1.Clarks X over pipe that was improperly cut and welded (not enough crush on one of the gaskets causing a BIG leak), and a couple of lifters that didn't want to initially pump up, The car went on the ground to go to the alignment shop.

One problem.....The front springs (Corvair Underground)were taller than the stock ones that came off the car. I asked Lon and on the list for opinions and the consensus was that when the car sat down on them, they would be fine. Well....

When the car is sitting still, it looks like you have just dumped in the clutch at about 5grand. 13" between the front spoiler and the ground, and looking at the car from the side you can see the entire shock tower inside the wheel well... Also, the springs are SO stiff that 220 lbs of Eric standing on the bumper and jumping on it makes no movement of the front end. and this is with the bolts on the lower control arms still loose.

We decided that perhaps we could cut off a coil on these springs. Mark at Clarks cautioned us against this, as it would probably make the front end even stiffer, and there would only be about 2 inches of the coil in the tower. New Springs have been ordered from clarks and will be re-installed to see how they look. BTW, ride height with the springs I had is 28 inches on each side from what Eric has told me. with a full tank of fuel and his 220lbs sitting in the car, the springs don't flinch a millimeter.

Are we on the right track here??? Opinions on or off list appreciated....

Hank
Leaving NY early to try and fix these problems, Sorry Gary I ain't gonna make it this time.