<VV> Sticky Steering

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:48:50 -0400

I hope this catches interested parties before the Convention (likely to get
lost in what piles up during).
     I replaced the steering gear (standard ratio) with a rebuilt box from
Clark's. The "sticky steering" problem appears to be a thing of the past.
Since I wanted to keep my core shippable, I didn't perform a post-mortem on
it, so I'll never know the details of what was wrong with it. When I turned
the shaft of the rebuilt box, it was substantially smoother than doing the
same thing to my old box. The old box wasn't really "lumpy" - I'd call it
"grainy," rather - that is, consistently rough from one end of its travel to
the other.
     I think I'll be in good shape for another 35-40 years or so. Like Tony
(in a recent speech on VV), I have much affection for road-tested parts,
even aside from whatever economies of (calendar) time and money they
sometimes offer.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C