<VV> Re: Early vs. Late turbos

G Fox gfox@vanion.com
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:49:48 -0600

I think this is the combo using both early and late turbo
parts that Steve Goodman puts together. As I recall he uses
it on his corvair powered Porche 911 and his vw bug based
vehicle.

Both are his reverse rotation corvair engines with turbos.

Funny too, but think he runs 308 diff in his '62 Spyder and
he uses third gear to pass other vehicles on the interstate
if needed.

gfox

>Subject: Re: <VV> Re: Early vs. Late turbos
>To: virtualvairs@skiblack.com
>
>At 12:45 hours 06/11/2004 -0700, Eric S. Eberhard wrote:
>>I agree, I think the earlies spool up faster due to the
smaller turbo parts
>>and especially matched with the smaller engine.  I also
think that the size
>>of the plumbing has an affect ... the plumbing is the same
for my small
>>engined 62 as it is for a large engined 65+  ... it seems
to me that this
>>is additional restriction on the larger engines causing a
delay ...

>For what it's worth, an early turbocharger on a late RL
turbo engine with a
>couple of mods will spool up noticeably quicker than the
late turbocharger
>and still make plenty of top end boost, enough to break the
engine if
>pressed.

G Fox
Colorado Springs, CO, USA