<VV> Brake Pull Update & Additional Q's

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:49:17 -0400

Try bleeding your left front brake. If it flows OK, your problem is in the
right branch. You must pull the tank to route the new line as the original
was routed.
     Now, it might make some people cringe, but if you don't have time to
replace the old line, you could unclog it with air pressure or a suitable
length of wire. Flush with alcohol. Problem with this is that there is a
fair chance your brake line is corroded, but I feel you can protect yourself
with the "hard-harder" test and, of course, the fact that you've got a
dual-chamber master cylinder.
     I believe I've already suggested you consider installing a new,
temporary (mine's permanent) line behind and underneath your gas tank.
     Personally, I suspect a problem with your master cylinder somewhere.
The test above should indicate.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe with cruddy front ornament bar 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of corsarob@charter.net
Sent: Saturday, June 12, 2004 12:31 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Brake Pull Update & Additional Q's

Okay... here's what I've found to be the problem.  The right side brake is
not working at all... tried to bleed but no fluid came out.  Loosened the
hose at the top and fluid trickled out.  Removed hose and blew on it... a
little fluid came out and then I could blow thru it but not as well as a
good used one I had so I put the used hose on.  Pumped on the brakes
multiple times but could not get any fluid to come out of the bleeder valve.

Therefore, I surmise that it's most likely the brake line from the master
cylinder down to hose.  The question is (and again this is a '67 with dual
master)... can I replace this line without dropping the tank?  Or, is it
possible that it's a problem even further up the line and within the master
cylinder?  Not sure have that could be but others might have other views.

Appreciate the suggestions before and I did correct some other front-end
problems but none was the culprit.

Rob