<VV> EM Powerglide Problems

EUGENE1938@aol.com EUGENE1938@aol.com
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:28:13 EDT

lambchop@wctc.net writes:
When my 64 Monza Convert sits for a week or two, I start it up let it run for
30 seconds...put it in gear (either DR or REV)....it acts like it don't want
to move...very sluggish. After a minute or two...it's fine
Roy,
This is probably caused by the torque converter draining down into the
transmission case reducing the fluid level in the converter.  With the converter
level being too low it cannot transfer the torque from the engine to the
differential and on to the wheels.  When the fluid level is low in the converter it
also aerates the fluid to a foam which also cannot transfer the torque.  After a
few minutes the fluid from the case is pumped up into the converter by the
front pump and the transmission works normally.  In my 65 500 the fluid
overfills the transmission case to the point where it leaks out through the air vent
or breather at the top of the front cover of the transmission.  Try this, after
you start the engine, let it run in neutral for a minute or more before
selecting drive or reverse and see if this doesn't solve the problem.  This works
on mine.  Also after the car has set for two weeks, before starting the engine,
check the fluid level and I think you will find the fluid will be way too
high.  I've yet to find a cure for this.

Ed Corson (CORSA member)
IECC - Riverside, CA