<VV> Re: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #570 - 13 msgs

NOSVAIR@aol.com NOSVAIR@aol.com
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 10:18:55 EDT

In a message dated 6/13/2004 9:32:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
virtualvairs-request@corvair.org writes:

> Does anyone happen to know what material the Spyder dash was made of, and
> how it was finished?
>
> It seems to be made of aluminum, but unprotected, polished aluminum is
> brighter, and tends to oxidize over time.  It obviously doesn't have a
> sprayed on clear-coat type finish, or you would see lots of yellowed,
> chipping spyder dashes.  My guess is that they are clear anodized.
>
> Does anyone have some official knowledge on this subject?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Blaine

  It's definitely a pot metal casting...not aluminum.  Unofficially, the
satin finish on the 62-63 type looks like a annodization process.  If I recall
correctly the 64 Spyder was chrome plated with a brushed finish on the flat
surface to exact the look of the stainless steel glovebox door.

Bruce Webster
'60 500 Sedan
'61 700 Coupe
'64 900 Coupe