<VV> VIR Race Wkend Report

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:09:01 -0400

Folks:
	Donna Mae Mims' Pink '78 Corvette with the very large portrait of
Marilyn Monroe on the hood over=heated on I81, was flat-bedded to a repair
shop, where they said the noise was a rod or wrist pin.  I took Donna and
her buddy, May Lou to the track where they met up with the other women
racers and a lot socializing, lying, telling stories, etc went on especially
in the bar at the track mansion (Very big old farm house) clubhouse bar that
eve.  Mary Lou got a friend to come down with a trailer to take it up to
Pittsburgh.  I borrowed a trailer to get it out of the shop before they
closed on Fri so the guys could pick it up on Sat or Sun at the motel.  They
came on Sat so DMM left and missed Saturday. Too bad.  Guys were hanging
around them listening to stories from a proven racer.

#89:  Broke 3 bbl throttle shaft coupler between #2 and #3 barrels (#1 and
#3 cylinders).  I used my last spare-no one at the track or the race shops
there had one.  The throttle plates have to be removed to get the new one
in. One was not right but I went with it.  Then one of the fuel pumps
quit-no spare.  SASCO had one at the track, and after mortgaging my house, I
got it and installed it. Actually Doug Macintosh and friend Don Jones
installed it.  The cross shaft arm on right side broke at the weld and I had
it re-welded.  Throttle linkage was dicey but went out for the race.

Started 14th or 25 cars-treaded tires, not slicks.  Ended up 8th behind a
Sunbeam Tiger (with a lot more than a 260/289!) and a 427 Cobra.  Passed the
Cobra, got along side of the Tiger, but on the straight they took me and I
then closed under braking and in curves.  Had to brake when behind them
going up the esses.

She ran over 7000 on straight.  Lots of positive comments about how fast a
Corvair can be.

Any one who wants to see at pic of #89 between the yellow Tiger and the
white Cobra, drop me a line.  I can email it out.

Chuck S
BBRT