<VV> engine temperature vs. exhaust style

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:28:24 -0400

Is your engine currently running too hot?
     I think going to a single exhaust MAY cause your engine to run cooler,
depending on whether your engine's heat baffles are in place. Factory dual
exhausts come with heat baffles on both sides of the engine. You may have
only the one on the right (which all Corvairs were made with), you may have
two, or you may have zero. Whether you go with one muffler or stay with two,
make sure there is a heat baffle between every muffler and the engine.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C and two heat baffles

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of joey4556@excite.com
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 9:25 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> engine temperature vs. exhaust style

For your consideration: Subject car is a 1967 Monza coupe 110 PG factory
A/C. It is my daily commuter and the exhaust must be some type of dual turbo
muffler set-up. It is just loud enough to become a pain in the ear after
half an hour of driving. I am considering going back to a stock single
exhaust for the quietness. My question is will this cause the engine to run
hotter than the current dual set-up. I do use the A/C and enjoy it very much
here in southern middle Tennessee. Thank you all for your ideas. Joey
Phillips