<VV> Shifter Shaft Still Leaking

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:39:12 -0400

On Jun 15, 2004, at 2:27 PM, goofyroo@excite.com wrote:

> I noticed the shifter-shaft seal was leaking on my 63 4-spd., so when
> I dropped the powertrain last week I replaced the seal with a new one
> from Clark's.
>
> It's still leaking.  If you have any ideas what to try next, please
> let me know.

Do you know where it's leaking from? The bore where the seal fits it or
the shaft where it goes through the seal? Be sure you are installing
the correct seal. (I've never worked on an early trans. I presume the
seal is like one on a late)

Do it again, only this time:

Carefully remove the old seal being careful to not scratch the bore.

Carefully inspect the bore where the seal goes for scratches. Did you
scratch it with a sharp tool when removing the old seal?

Take a little very fine sandpaper or crocus cloth and carefully polish
the bore. Then clean it good with lacquer thinner.

Take a new seal and put a thin film of high-temp silicone on the outer
face. Be sure the outer edge of the seal is smooth with no burrs.

Carefully install the new seal, keeping it square in the bore until it
is tapped into place all the way.

Put a small amount of silicone in the bore where the seal meets the
bore. You may already have some silicone there from the installation.

Let the silicone dry before assembly.

Carefully polish the shifter shaft where it passes through the seal.
Just clean it good and polish it - don't remove a lot of material!
You're just trying to get a good smooth surface to seal against the
seal.

Clean it with lacquer thinner before assembly.

Remember, put it together like a watch and it'll run like one.

Bruce

Bruce W, Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC