<VV> Another convention update

ncwitte@wittelaw.com ncwitte@wittelaw.com
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:14:58 -0400

The Witte family left DeWitt this morning at about 7:15 a.m. bound for
Lexington.  I loaded the '65 Corsa onto a trailer borrowed from my uncle,
stuffed the wife, kids, cat and all our crap in the Suburban and headed out.

We dropped the cat at my wife where my secretary and associate will watch her.
It sure is nice to be the boss.

The drive down was uneventful for the most part until we got to Lexington.  We
got into three or four heavy rainstorms but otherwise cruised down 75.

We got to Lexington at about 2:30.  We got off the freeway and were on one of
the streets leading into downtown Lexington, waiting at a light.  The light
changed, I pulled out and KATHUNK! the Corsa fell off the trailer.  The front
strap had worn through and the car came right of the back of the trailer.
Fortunately the trailer was of the duck back type and the only damage to the
car was a crunch on the rear air grille.  One of my mint NOS grille inserts was
toasted, and the grille itself is going to have to be straightened a bit and
painted.

Those of you who have been on this list for awhile know that I am not shy about
admitting my ignorance or stupidity.  I am just thankful that in this case my
stupidity in not better securing the car didn't come home to roost on the
freeway where someone could have been killed.  The damage to the car is
secondary to that.  I know Larry Shapiro had a similar experience with far more
disasterous consequences for his red Corsa.

Anyway, I found a sweet insert replacement at the swap meet and I am looking at
the whole situation as a course at the school of hard knocks in which I was
fortunate to get a tuition waiver.

I have seen lots of gorgeous cars so far.  I've run into the Del Patten,
Chuckster, Ken Wildman, Tim Colson, gave passing "hi's" to the Lone Haranguer
and Bob Marlow.  I am looking forward to the concours and people choice
tomorrow and the VV meeting tomorrow night.  I am also looking forward to
buying lots of straps, chains and maybe some welding gear for the trip home.

Talk to you all tomorrow.

Norm Witte