<VV> quick shifter

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:41:15 EDT

Not a super big deal.  You will have to jack the car up, preferably onto four
jackstands.  You will have to remove the tunnel in order to get to the bolts
that hold the shifter to the floor.  Once the shifter is off, as I recall you
have to drive out a pin and install an extension on the end of the shift lever
and a spacer to the floor.  Late model cars use shims between the shifter and
the floor; the shifter actually slides back and forth on the floor as the
engine moves around.  You will want to check the clearance of the shims.  As long
as you are in there, you might also want to replace the bushings in the shift
tube and the little pin at the transmisison.  That will make it feel really
nice.  No particular special tools are required, well except for the beer!
Craig Nicol
65 Corsa quick shift
66 Monza 140 rebuilt shifter
67 Monza 140 rebuilt shifter

<snip>i have a 65 monza 4 door... and now me and my dad arent master
mechanincs but we konw enough to get around... now on my car i ordered a quick shifter
from clarks and before i confirm it.. i wanted to know what the difficulty of
installing this is?... its a 4 spd. does it require jacking the car up? any
special tools or anything?
thanks alot.. Cody<unsnip>