<VV> quick shifter

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:10:52 -0400

As others have emailed, You have to jack the car up and support it with
jackstands.  :>)
Remove cover.
Remove the four bolts that hold the shifter base to the floor.
Keep the various plastic spacers/shims in order on top and bottom as these
are VERY important. You should check your specs per the shop manual as you
don't know what will change or has been done to the car in the last 39 years
or so.
You have to install the extension on the bottom of the shifter shaft, where
lower end of the shifter is; it is a ball at the end.  Good time to clean
and re-grease the ball under/in the aluminum housing.  Replace worn parts as
required.  You remove the "stuff" by depressing a bit and turning the steel
ball retainer-has little edges on it.  Tap with a screw driver as I
recall...

The new shifter base (2-3" high spacer) goes back on top of the floor
between the shifter housing and the floor.

The things you should check are mentioned by Ned, Bruce, Dennis, etc.  Check
the "slop" in the shift tube which is inside the outer tube-there were nylon
bushings from the factory and they are usually worn out.  There was also
cardboard tube between the inner tube that does the shifting and the housing
tube.  If ok, leave it.  If not you can either leave it out, which may mean
rattling, or use a piece of thin plastic tubing which will fit as a long
sleeve over the inner tubing.

The bushings, if need be, can be replaced with bronze bushings the vendors
sell-which is what most of us do.

The other thing you must check is the shift tube coupler at the back of the
shift tube, where it is like a clevis at the end and the trans shift rod
(which sticks out of the lower front of the trans) fits into.  There is an
odd sized pin, that fastens the coupler and trans shift shaft together. You
really should replace it if sloppy.  If the hole is elongated in the
coupler, you can either make a bushing, braze the hole shut and re-drill in
the coupler, buy a new/rebuilt coupler, or a specialty aftermarket one.  You
cannot try and drill the trans shift shaft out for a bigger pin as it is
hardened.

Finally, as you put the whole thing together and adjust up front, you may
need to adjust the coupler at the rear so you get all gears properly.

Good Luck.

All this sounds like a lot but it isn't really, once you get under there and
look at it.

Chuck S
YS73