<VV> Harbor Freight/Central Pneumatic

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:32:41 -0400

Interesting comments supporting what I thought about the compressors, etc.

I always wonder how there is such a thing as peak CFM.... as the pressure at
stall would be for an instant and certainly not cubic feet per MINUTE....
it's BS..

 BTW, my 25 yr old 150 psi 220v two cylinder wheeled horizontal tank
Craftsman is running strong after all these years.

Chuck S
BBRT

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Gault [mailto:r.gault@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 10:50 PM
To: Corvair List
Subject: Re: <VV> Harbor Freight/Central Pneumatic

Check out the HF specs VERY closely.  When I went over there to look at a
similarly rated compressor I found that the 11.1 CFM @ 40 PSI was "Peak
CFM", whatever the @#%% that is.  It wasn't clear what the real rating was.
But, then, I knew it was too good to be true.  About the best you can expect
from a 115VAC compressor is around 8 CFM @ 40 PSI.

My advice on compressors is to buy the biggest, "most industrial" compressor
you can possibly afford.  Stay away from the cheap brands, there is an
amazing amount of c@#$ out there.  The reason I haven't replaced my dead POS
Sears "5 HP" unit is that I haven't had the guts to tell my wife I'm going
to spend $750 or so on a compressor and I haven't gotten around to wiring my
garage for 220, but that's the direction I'll be going.

Roger