<VV> Engine modification question

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:07:17 EDT

Hi Sherman,
Please see below for my thoughts.
Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 6/16/04 7:48:00 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
vzd1s4am@verizon.net writes:

> My thoughts are that the 102 has a higher winding cam and the 80 hp heads
> could allow me to run regular or plus in the tank. I know I would lose some hp
> but I figured that I would gain some bottom end torque.

NO. Not the way to go the gain bottom end and torque. The 102 gains its hp by
increasing the rpm and not the torque. The 80 hp will have better torque at
low rpm.

> I know I am not the first to think about this. What I am curious about is
> what are the experiences of people that has actually done this.

Well, the factory for one. they took the 80 hp engine in 1960 and added the
cam but retained the heads. That got them a 95 hp engine. This increased to 98
hp when they bumped up the CR in 1961.

I strongly suggest that you forget the small displacement engines and get
yourself a 164 cid engine such as the 110 hp if you are looking for more power.

> Sherman Gossett

Bob Helt