<VV> Re: reground cams

EUGENE1938@aol.com EUGENE1938@aol.com
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:15:16 EDT

In a message dated 6/17/04 4:28:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Lluke2136@aol.com writes:
If reground cams were so bad, why does Lon sell so many?
Bob,
In my response to this subject my comment was that in 25 years of building
Corvair engines the only cams I had any trouble with were regrinds.  I also had
a lot of regrinds that worked very well for 70,000+ miles.  If you use a
regrind you will probably do very well but there is that occasional bad one that
you might get.  I don't know about you but I want to build each engine only
once.  If the cam fails the engine must be disassembled all the way to replace it.
 Even if the manufacturer or vendor that sold it to you replaces it for free
you still must pull the engine and rebuild it again.  A lot of work for saving
a few bucks.

Ed Corson (CORSA member)
IECC - Riverside, CA