<VV> Lonzo and Convention observations

CorsaVair@aol.com CorsaVair@aol.com
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:12:33 EDT

One day to go at Lexington, had the opportunity to meet Lon Anderson for the
first time.  He is still on crutches from his unfortunate fall and multiple
leg fracture at his home.  What a gentle giant.  For those who have not had the
opportunity to meet him, he is 6' 6" tall and quite stocky.  You will not meet
a more positive, upbeat person.  For all he has been through, he is still
helping his home chapter put on one of the best conventions we have ever
attended.  Ken Hand was seen working on the clutch of Lonzo's van after several men
went north and brought it to the convention.  (You remember his van was broken
and Lon was unable to work on it because of his accident).
The raffle car (a 66 Monza convertible, Aztec Bronze) is one of the most
beautiful restorations I have ever seen.
The Concours, Car Display, Swap meet and Autocross were well organized, well
attended and with plenty of space.
The parade on Monday night was well attended by local people, we took over
Main street for several blocks in the downtown area with upwards of 100 cars.
Future Convention planners will do well to study what the local clubs did to
put on such an enjoyable convention.  Wish you were here - - -Dick Shank