Fw: <VV> Re: reground cams

EUGENE1938@aol.com EUGENE1938@aol.com
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:45:47 EDT

In a message dated 6/18/04 7:34:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time, BEC176@msn.com
writes:
On race engines I prefer reground cams that are ground specifically for the
engine and torque/horsepower RPM range that it will be used in.
Jim,
New billets can also be ground to custom specs.  New billets, if heat treated
properly, are hardened deeper than can be done on a regrind.  Deep hardening
on a regrind will cause it to warp since it was treated before and there is
not enough metal there to compensate.  Regrinds are actually not re-hardened
they are "Parkerized" which is only on the surface.
Like the add says, "Pay me now or pay me later".  And like I said before,
regrinds on race engines are OK because you will wear the engine out before the
cam fails.  IMHO

Ed Corson (CORSA member)
IECC - Riverside, CA