<VV> Re: scam-no Corvair

Gary mopar@jbcs2.net
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:41:56 -0400

Most definitely is a scam.
Just recently was contacted by a guy who wanted a torker intake for a 383
mopar which I had advertised on the mopar club site. Wanted me to send him
the difference from the check he was sending me which was $2000 for a $125
part. Don't fall for this!
Basically what happens is your bank cashes the check, you send the money,
the car is signed over and picked up. About a month later you find out the
check bounced and you are liable for the money from the cashed check, and
returned check fees as well. You are also out the car.

My son and his girlfriend are working in "collections" and they are
constantly going after people who fall for this scam on behalf of the banks.
People fall for this, and end up deep in debt over it, and out their
merchandise. Victims feel that the bank cashed the check so it is not their
problem! That's not the way it works. They either pay back the money, or it
is "taken" from their accounts, or their credit is ruined and you get the
friendly "pay up" call from my son.

If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.
Gary Swiatowy