<VV> 102 + 80 = 98?

Dennis Nichols dixiehwy25@yahoo.com
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 08:22:20 -0700 (PDT)

The 98 HP question has been on my mind a lot lately. My Lakewood finally made it to my house after a year of ownership a few weeks ago, so I've been sticking my nose in it. Combine that with the fact that the convention was in town, so I picked up literature, parts- and motivation!- to get it going.

First, a word about he car itself.  It is extremly original. It sat in a garage from 1974-5 until I got it home, in other words a real barn find. Yes, it will need floors, rocker and some reupholstery- but the only things missing were a hubcap, and the jack equipment. It has 70K on it and is basically undisturbed.  It was sold 12/3/60, and was buiit at Willow Run sometime in November, 1960. I suspect it was an ordered car from it's equipment. I just bring up the condtion here because it may answer some questions and fill gaps on the 98 HP motor.

The engine code is YJ- 98 HP, wagon, m/t . It was built in Oct. 1960, so its an early motor. I've got about all the documentation I can find on, or for,  this car. The tech guide says this motor has an 8:1 CR, my Owner's Manual says I can use regular gas, so does the 1961 Service Manual (although mine is bulletinless). There are, nonetheless, conflicts. The Chevorlet restoration guide I have states 9:0 CR, albeit that's with a mid-model year revision. The Tech Guide's table lists all 98 HP heads as being 9:1, but the Guide also lists several 8:1 "unknown" HP heads, including some that have the machining for the 9:1 dual springs, but are 8:1 CR. My car also had the original carburetors, with orignal tags that match an early 98 (carbs were made in Nov. 1960)

Looking into my file further, it looks like CR switiches were made at the first of the year in 1961. The Monza PG motor went to 84 HP from 80 and 8:1 to 9:1. The corresponding CR change occured on the 98 as well. It was also at this time that the 98 went from a stick only engine to having PG availiablity. Ergo, I think the 9:1 98 is really a 102 HP motor and Chevy chose not to advertise it until the 1962's came out.

So, what have I concluded? I can burn regular in the Lakewood. At a 20c a gallon  price difference for hi-test, I can do without the extra 4 HP anyway. The 8:1 98 HP may be the most oddball Corvair motor ever made, and perhaps the rarest- it was apparently made for just 5 months. The only competition it gets on this score is from the 95 HP 1960 engine, which is apparently quite rare as well. The shrouds will be coming off soon, so I can either answer some of the question marks in the Tech Guide head table, or create new ones...

Now, to finally answer your question. There are a bewildering amount of heads for 145 CID motors. Once you get into it, as I have, swapping heads could give you a headcahe looking at all those possibilites. One thing I would do, would be to find a matched set of 80 HP heads, not pick them up one at a time. You could also stack gaskets on a 102 HP, which might be the easiest solution of all. Of course, I've not gotten into cams here at all. You could also luck out and find an early 98 HP ready for a rebuild. The only desirable modification to make for one I can see is to install the more durable later valves, which have no problem with unleaded gas.

I'll just say I'm VERY happy to have the original 98 now!

"Every time a man gets in his car it should be a vacation"- Harley Earl

Dennis Nichols    CORSA, CKC

1961 Lakewood 700 98/3

Interested in wagons? lakewood700@yahoo.com