<VV> Telescoping steering wheel question

CorsaVair@aol.com CorsaVair@aol.com
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:18:14 EDT

In a message dated 6/23/2004 3:47:04 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
Tjs1201@aol.com writes:
Mine was built in May of 65. Is there a date breakpoint on the column change
or
do I have to look at it to figure out what I have
Tim - - -Crawl under and look up the steering shaft, if it is one piece all
the way to the steering column, then you have  early steering.  If you see a
coupling up the shaft about 14" to 15" from the steering box, then you have a
late.  When you go looking for a tele steering column, the shaft  should be 14
1/2" long out of the steering box.  Make sure you buy the steering box along
with the column if you see no coupling, as the standard steering shaft goes all
the way up to the steering wheel..  In 1966, the shaft is 15 1/2" long and all
steering units used this same box and shaft, tele or not.  Hope this helps -
- -Dick Shank