<VV> Starting difficulty

UltraMonzaWest@aol.com UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:29:33 EDT

In a message dated 6/23/2004 4:23:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
retting@starpower.net writes:

> I have a 1965 110 hp Monza that has great difficulty starting, at times. It
> cranks and cranks, but does not ignite.  I changed the ignition to
> electronic-type with a high voltage coil, but the problem persists.
> Although
> sometimes it starts relatively easily.  I guess a tune-up is in order, but I
> wonder if anyone has thoughts about specific problems, such as spark plugs
> or
> carburetors?
>
> In a related question, what is the recommended procedure for pressing the
> gas
> pedal while starting a cold engine?  Maybe I'm sending too much gas to the
> carbs?  Thanks for your replies!
>
> Richard Retting
> Fairfax, VA

Welcome to the group!

Sure sounds like the chokes are not closed enough...Step SLOWLY on the
accelerator prdal all the way to the floor 2-3 times usually does it.

If it's hard to start after setting 1 week or more....that's common with
todays gasoline.....add and electric booster pump [ push button at dash ] to fill
carb bowls..

OR  as I do...before steping on gas pedal....cranks until the "Press / Temp
light goes out....carbs are always full then!

Matt N.