<VV> Buick V6 2bbl question (No Corvair)

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:57:56 -0400

Dennis,

	My recommendation is to first fix it as it is with your trip to the
yard for a carb and required/broken parts.  You will find the 4bbl manifolds
are not the same for several reasons, not the least of which is the proper #
of holes which the 2bbls don't have-at least I have never seen them that
way.  The best way I would think if you must do this is to get the whole
manifold, 4 bbl carb, and everything else that may need to be changed. IF
the manifold is compatible, then you can be good to go.

Good Luck
Chuck S
YS73

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Nichols [mailto:dixiehwy25@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 2:38 PM
To: corvair list
Subject: <VV> Buick V6 2bbl question (No Corvair)

Dear Folks,

My 1981 Pontiac LeMans museum piece has the tang snapped from the front
choke pulloff crank at the base and will also need a throttle position
sensor according to the ECM diagnostics. Engine is a 2bbl 231 CID (3.8L)
Buick V-6. The carb will need to come out. It's simple enough to fix those
things. I'll be taking a trip to the yard for the tang. The carb is a
Rochester E2M. I'll ahve to buy a whole old carb anyway, so....

I've been thinkng- can I replace the 2bbl with a Rochester 4MV or 4MC 4 bbl?
Would it be worth it? I know there was a Buick-built V-6 that went into
C-bodies (Cads, etc.) of 252 CID (4.1L) that, if memory serves me correctly
had a 4 bbl on it. Is the intake manfold of a 2bbl set up for a 4bbl, with
the secondary ports and all? If so, would a 4bbl be a bolt-on as far as
mounting and  fit? If all this works, any suggestion for changing the jets,
etc.?

I know the ECM may not be compatible, but as it is simple and works on the
carb, so that could be easily remedied

"Every time a man gets in his car it should be a vacation"- Harley Earl

Dennis Nichols    CORSA, CKC

1961 Lakewood 700 98/3

Interested in wagons? lakewood700@yahoo.com