<VV> Out West - was 2005 Conv

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:52:19 -0500

In '95, not long after I got the convert on the road, I decided to give it a
trial run.  I took a week and went about 3,000 miles - camping some (tent)
and motels some.  During the trip, (from Illinois) I was in Iowa, Nebraska,
South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, and I might have touched the corner of
Montana briefly.

This was in October.  It was a beautiful trip.  The weather was a bit cool
in the evening, but nice.  Saw many beautiful sights and much wildlife.
Unforgettable trip.  Top down 90% of the time.

Camped at one spot (SD) with a sign saying "Camp Here - Custer did!".  Tried
another spot (WY) - family run from a big farm house - on a hillside with a
fantastic view.  They said - closed for the season and would not let me
stay.  When I asked why, the owner's wife said, because we are usually under
two to three feet of snow by this time of year.  There was no snow there
when I was there.  There was - two DAYS later!

It was a great trip and I may do it again some time - in a year when the
convention is too far to drive to in one day.

I put about 12,000 miles on the car that year.  This included the Dallas
convention (and when I decided not to drive THAT far at once again) and a
trip to Eufaula AL.

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140