<VV> Tires; replacement

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 09:38:47 EDT

Here's a news item:  The safety mavens are talking about putting expiration
dates on tires!  The basic number they're looking at is five years.  The tire
industry has mixed opinions.  Of course, they like the idea that people will be
compelled to change tires more often and fresher tires are safer (reducing
their liability).  On the other hand, the tire industry worries about their
inventory aging in the warehouse and how to manage the value if the customer is
sold a tire with three years left rather than five.  Some customers may demand
the freshest date tires further devaluing the aged inventory.  This whole thing
could have a big impact on the old car hobby, eh?
Craig Nicol
<snip>
JohnB10968@aol.com writes:
Since I don't drive my car over 2,500 miles a year, they will rot out before
they wear out.

Just a thought here....Tires will harden-up and lose their traction long
before they wear out or rot. This can be a "gotcha" in a future panic stop.
Relace
tires often to avoid this problem.
Regards, Bob Helt
<usnip>