<VV> Re: Tires; replacement

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:25:10 EDT

In a message dated 6/27/04 6:38:47 AM US Mountain Standard Time, NicolCS
writes:

> The safety mavens are talking about putting expiration dates on tires!  The
> basic number they're looking at is five years.  The tire industry has mixed
> opinions.  Of course, they like the idea that people will be compelled to
> change tires more often and fresher tires are safer (reducing their liability).

I wonder whether this proposed expiration date would be the date tires must
be sold by, or possibly the last date that tires can be used by? If sold by,
then that would probably not cause people to change tires more often. Once the
tires are bought and mounted, they probably will stay there until worn or
failed, just like today. Besides, I think that Joe average never really checks the
tires unless they go flat.

If the date might possibly be the last that tires could be used by, then who
is going to monitor this and enforce it? Also tires deteriorate at different
rates in different temperatures and climates (hot and sunny!).
Regards,
Bob Helt