<VV> lower cyl tin

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:44:30 EDT

In a message dated 6/27/04 11:55:23 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
s10birdman1966@yahoo.com writes:

> in gray area, can the tin air deflectors that are clipped under the jugs be
> left off? need to be sure there's nothing around cyl fins,how would removing
> them affect cooling on a street motor? thanks,t.z.

 Some people have done so and claimed "no problems"

But the facts are that it isn't a good idea if you want max cooling for your
engine. If the factory thought they weren't necessary they would have left
them off. It cost the factory to include these baffles.

Here's what I know. The cyl heads are in need of more cooling than the cyls.
So the baffles force most of the air to go thru the heads, and not around the
cyls (by blocking some of the airflow around the cyls). In addition without
the baffles the bottoms of the cyls don't get much, if any cooling, air, and
thus can overheat while the rest of the cyls get overcooled. This is because the
baffles force the air around the cyls and over the bottoms too. Without the
baffles, the cyls now get cooled unevenly and may distort their shape which will
affect ring sealing.
Regards,
Bob Helt