<VV> Practice run for Portland convention / Norm Witte's Corsa

Clark Hartzel chartzel@comcast.net
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:14:01 -0400

In the past five days I've driven 3,400 miles from Fraser, Michigan to Great
Falls, Montana and back to pick up Norm Witte's latest Corvair purchase.  It
is a 1965 Corsa turbo convertible and it runs!  The owner covered the mostly
missing top with some thick reinforced plastic or vinyl material and lots of
duct tape, which proved to be a good move as it rained for 24 hours straight
on the way home and I have an open trailer.
Is there any place in the world where driving is more frustrating and
congested as in and around Chicago?  They are continually tearing up and
rebuilding I-80/I-94 between Gary, Indiana and the Tri-State Tollway.  There
must be lots of Union road construction workers there as they never seem to
finish anything.  Then, once on the Tollway you pay tolls every 10 miles for
the privilege of driving on crappy roads and being run off the road by
thousands of 18-wheelers.  I swear when I go to Portland, I'm going up to
the upper peninsula of Michigan and across US-2 to Minnesota where I can
join I-94 for the rest of the trip.
The car was safely delivered to Norm's driveway this morning and will soon
join GROUP RED as it is in need of a total restoration.
Of course, after I send an invoice to Norm for my services, he might not be
able to afford the restoration.
Clark Hartzel
---