<VV> Lower Cyl Tin

kaczmarek@charter.net kaczmarek@charter.net
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:56:21 +0000

> Good morning all

This subject should have been put to bed long ago.

I had a cooling problem with my 65 Monza about 10 years ago, the bottom of the piston eroded, pressurized the crankcase, and the rest was history.

Why did this happen??/ Because after doing a minor engine cleaning and o ring change job, having re-adjusted the valves and put on the valve covers (in other words, I was finished) I noticed that I had neglected to install the lower cylinder shroud. I decided I didn't want to re-do the valves on that side to remove the pushrod tubes and re-install the metal.

This was a mistake.

At the end of the day, the following applies:

ALL OF THE SHEETMETAL IS IMPORTANT. If anything, more is better than less. EX: The cold air mix hose coming off the top shroud is blocked off on my engines with a piece of aluminum, and so is the hole on the rear shroud where it goes thru on its way to the heater box. If you don't block it off properly, the cooler air circulating thru that hole can cause a dropped valve seat on #5 cylinder, whether you have a 140, or a 95 or whatever engine.  Don't ask how I know this.

Regards  HANK