<VV> Signal to Noise Ratio

Dave Keillor dkeillor@ultrex.com
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:45:49 -0500

Like Ken Hand and others, I find the signal to noise ratio on Virtual Vairs
to be much too low.  After being gone for about a week came back to several
hundred VV emails which were summarily sent to the trash bin.  I have a
modest proposal to help better manage the "noise".

Instead of an email list, I propose moving into the 21st century with a
CORSA sanctioned forum.  An example of a very nice forum is the one I
frequent for Nova-related information (in addition to my Corvairs I also
have a '73 Nova): http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/

If you visit this forum, you can see the advantages to this approach which
include:
 -- Organization.  The information is contained in easy to access
categories.
 -- Efficiency.  You don't have to follow the categories in which you have
no interest (e.g., drag racing).  When I came back from my weeks absence, I
could quickly get caught up on my Nova areas of interest because I could
bypass the BS posts.
 -- Persistance.  Information in old threads can be obtained via the search
capability.
 -- Information management.  I try to save VV emails in which I might have
need for later, but that's a terrible way to manage information in the 21st
century.
 -- SPAM.  One of the best sources from which to harvest names for SPAM
lists are mailing lists like VV.  With forum software, personal emails can
be suppressed and members can communicate via Private Messages.

The forum approach could combine the information on VV, FastVairs, and VV
Talk for much better one-stop-shopping.  I have interests in all three
areas, but can't possibly keep up with all three under current conditions.

One of the useful things that Steve's Nova site lacks is an area where
useful threads can be archived.  The Miata forum has this and it can be very
convenient for quick reference.  Another neat future enhancement would be a
"garage" area on the CORSA website like Gary Fischman's Miata site has:
http://www.miata.net/garage/

Whatca think?  Anyone ready to move up the technology foodchain?  Might even
get some of the valuable ex-VV people to come back!

Dave Keillor