<VV> Signal to Noise Ratio NO CORVAIR

Dave Keillor dkeillor@ultrex.com
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:24:07 -0500

Harry,

I already do that.  I still had 375 emails to deal with (I deleted them
without reading).  I've been off and on VV a lot of times due to excessive
volume and will probably leave again soon for that reason.  I remain
convinced that a more user friendly approach would raise the visibility of
Corvairs and CORSA, and I'm also convinced that many Corvair people would
prefer that the Corvair remain a "cult".  I also think the a website could
be used productively to capture some of the accumulated knowledge in the
Corvair community.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Harry Jensen [mailto:hljensen@comcast.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 2:24 PM
To: Norman Witte; Dave Keillor; virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: RE: <VV> Signal to Noise Ratio NO CORVAIR

Hiya--

At 01:14 PM 6/29/2004, Norman Witte wrote:
>I don't like the mess it makes of my inbox, but I think all things
>considered, it's the most powerful tool for the job.

Hmmmm. Ever think about filtering your VV messages into a separate Inbox?
I'm a Eudora user, but even lowly Outlook Express can filter your messages
into a separate folder just for VV.

For Outlook Express users.

Step 1: The idea is to first create a separate folder for your VV messages.
Select the 'Local Folders' icon on the left panel. Right mouse click on it.
One of the options will say: New Folder. Name it 'VV' or whatever you'd
like.

Step 2: Then go to menu item: TOOLS and select MESSAGE RULES. Click on
'New...' Item 1 says: Select the conditions for your rule. Put a check by
the one which says: Where the subject line contains specific words. Item 2
says: Select the action for your rule. Put a check by the one which says:
Move it to a specified folder.

When you put the checks in the conditions and actions, a link appears in
the third item on that dialog box: Rule description. Click on the link
which says: contains specific words. Type: <VV> in the box and click the
Add button. Now click the link which says: specified folder. You should see
the folder you created in Step 1. Select it and click the OK button.

Lastly, name your new rule anything you want in Item 4. Call in VV message
rule if you like.

After you're done, all of your VV messages will be downloaded and
'filtered' into your new mailbox.

Assignment left to advanced students: Now you can add new message rules
that look for 'No Corvair' and 'Humor' and put them into the Trash or to
another new mailbox.

I use message rules to try and control the SPAM which floods each of our
mailboxes. Anything which says 'click here' goes directly to the trash.

--H

| Harry Jensen   mailto:hljensen@comcast.net
| Management & Publishing Services
| 13523 S. Red Coat Dr., P.O. Box 607, Lemont, IL 60439
| 630.257.6530   fax: 630.257.5540