<VV> Orphan Auto Picnic - follow up

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:52:01 -0500

For a quick (slight taste - pun intended) of the OAP - check:
http://www.ccecorvair.com/OAP/index.html

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com>
To: "J R Read_HML" <hmlinc@sbcglobal.net>; "Jim Briggs"
<jim_a_b3@hotmail.com>
Cc: "VirtualVairs AA" <VirtualVairs@corvair.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 7:36 PM
Subject: Re: <VV> Orphan Auto Picnic

> This show is one of the coolest shows I've ever been to. Gets all the
like-minded people together... everybody that likes something a little
different.
> This is the only show where I see British, German, Italian, microcar, and
the more uncommon American makes all together in a very relaxed
> atmosphere. Larry walks around with a wireless mike to let owners tell
about their cars. The press is often there and it's great publicity for the
club!

> The T-shirt idea was awesome... I think more events should do something
like this.

> The way it worked.... this show gets a lot of door prizes... little to
big. So at the door they sell raffle tickets. I'm a little unclear on the
iron-ons, but I think
> one of the larger supporters supplied them based on a memeber's orignal
artwork. Then the club bought a bunch of white t-shirts.

> Instead of selling the shirts, they GAVE you one (made up right on the
spot in your size) for buying some number of raffle tickets (don't recall if
it was
> $10 or $20). Can you imagine the number of raffle tickets sold?
>
> This, along with ice racing, is one of the things (along with many of the
great people) I will miss most about IL.

> Bill Elliott
>

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:53:32 -0500, J R Read_HML wrote:
>
> >We get somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 cars.  About 50 Vairs and 200
> >others.  Basic rule is  - must be at least 10 yrs old and a "Mark" no
longer
> >made.  This is subject to some interpretation and lclc usually screens
what
> >gets preferred parking and what does not.  Corvettes for instance do not
> >qualify since they are still being made.
>
> >All kinds of cars come out - Studes, VW (air), British stuff, Amphicar,
Imp,