<VV> preparing an engineless Corvair for transport

CorsaVair@aol.com CorsaVair@aol.com
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:32:13 EDT

In a message dated 6/30/2004 9:22:26 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
dhartzler@ifc.org writes:
This is my first post to VV though I have been lurking for quite a bit.

I need your creative solutions on the following challenge:  I will be
picking up a new project in a couple of weeks.  A 66' Monza vert with no
drivetrain installed.  It is up on jackstands right now (and looks
comfortable that way, which is good as it will be introduced to my
jackstands quite soon!)  Needs to roll onto a rental car trailer and
travel 100+ miles.

Can anybody offer the easiest way to prepare  this car for transport (I
suspect installing a transmission and transaxe is it)?

The car in question is an automatic tranny model.  I have a gearbox and
transaxle from a 65' manual trans convert.  Can this be installed using
the same mounts?  Are the crossmembers quite different?  Any other
mounting differences that would prevent my use of this setup for
transport?

Is it best to just bolt the engine in place?
Darrin - - -The easiest way is to get at least 2 threaded rods and tie the
suspension together in back.  Then you should be able to roll the car on the
trailer.  Good luck - - -Dick Shank