<VV> preparing an engineless Corvair for transport

Louis C. Armer, Jr. carmerjr@mindspring.com
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:35:31 -0400

Darrin, Two things you might consider. First is have all the manpower
available that is willing to go with you. Second is consider a flat bed
trailer as opposed to one with just wheel troughs. If  the car is without
the entire drivetrain, 4 people can manhandle it most anywhere and especially
if you have an electric winch and a portapack or extra battery. Harbor
Freight has
a nice portable or permanent model for under $40 on sale which will hook on
the
trailer ball of a vehicle and it is low geared and pulls strongly. I
recently used
mine to help us load Lon Anderson's Greenbrier on my trailer. It was
semi-loaded
<GGG> with Lon's parts and I suspect it was close to 4000 lbs.  If you are
a paved area you can use a floor jack to move the rear end of the vehicle.
I believe
it was Rob Landers or Tim Mahler who made an "axle" type apparatus that was
a pretty neat way to secure the LM suspension for easy moving. Dick Shanks idea
is also an inexpensive solution. You will be joining WittyNorm's Group Red????

Chuck Armer aka Chuckster
  /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
At 10:05 AM 6/30/04 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>This is my first post to VV though I have been lurking for quite a bit.
>I need your creative solutions on the following challenge:  I will be
>picking up a new project in a couple of weeks.  A 66' Monza vert with no
>drivetrain installed.  It is up on jackstands right now (and looks
>comfortable that way, which is good as it will be introduced to my
>jackstands quite soon!)  Needs to roll onto a rental car trailer and
>travel 100+ miles.
>
>Can anybody offer the easiest way to prepare  this car for transport (I
>suspect installing a transmission and transaxe is it)?
>
>The car in question is an automatic tranny model.  I have a gearbox and
>transaxle from a 65' manual trans convert.  Can this be installed using
>the same mounts?  Are the crossmembers quite different?  Any other
>mounting differences that would prevent my use of this setup for
>transport?
>
>Is it best to just bolt the engine in place?
>
>Thanks much, and yes, I have the manuals.  Have not been able to really
>tell which mounting bolts will line up properly from these sources though.
>
>Any crazy ideas welcome.
>
>Darrin Hartzler
>
>PS - Corsa member, Group Corvair and No. VA Corvairs

Corvair Atlanta, BOD
CORSA MEMBER
CORSA Tri-Membership Chairman
http://carmerjr.home.mindspring.com/