<VV> Convertible rear window repair

Paula Tilsley markt17@fuse.net
Sat, 1 May 2004 06:39:19 -0400

The fabric on my rear window zipper has rotted away.  The top guys want
between $250 & $300 to replace the rear window and zipper because the
have to take the rear half of the top apart to access the retaining clip
on the rear header bow.  The window itself is in great shape (including
its half of the zipper).  The top itself is in pretty good shape.  The
only deterioration I've noticed is the stitching on the panel seams is
starting to pull away but she doesn't leak yet.  I think there is still
good life left so I'd like to try to repair it.  One thought I had was
to try a Velcro approach.  A Velcro strip sewed to duck canvas could be
attached to the retaining clip by a piece of light bar stock and some
sheet metal screws.  The other half adhered to the top of the vinyl
window.  2 more strips of Velcro could be adhered to the window side
seals and the top itself to hold the sides of the window up.  I wouldn't
take it through a car wash (wouldn't do that anyway) but it seems like
this would work.  Has anybody tried this or have any other suggestions?
Tops are very expensive to replace.

Thanks,

Mark Tilsley
65 corsa turbo vert