<VV> Driving a V-8

AeroNed@aol.com AeroNed@aol.com
Sun, 2 May 2004 23:01:38 EDT

I had quite a treat today...

After working at Terry Kalp's shop this morning he asked if I'd like to take
his V-8 Corvair to lunch. When I work at the shop we almost always take a
Corvair to lunch, but with the great number of Terry's cars to choose from we had
not previously selected the V-8. I jumped at the opportunity to ride in the
V-8 car. Now here's the best part, after Terry pulled the car out of the shop,
as I was getting in the passenger's door, he got out and asked if I wanted to
drive. Well, he didn't have to ask me twice.

The acceleration is incredible! The drive from the shop to where we ate is
about 5 miles, Terry's shop is out in the Kansas farmland. The car was much more
stable than a conventionally powered Corvair. I guess that's due to the
increased weight and better weight distribution. Did I mention the acceleration? At
one point, I looked down at the speedometer and was shocked that we were
doing better than 90 MPH! I was a bit surprised and eased off the gas. A short
time later it seemed like we needed to go faster and I wanted to see if I could
find what speed the front end would get light. Well, it took very little time
to get from 70 up to 90 and it was still going when I lifted off the
accelerator again, this time just shy of 100 MPH. The car handled rock solid, no
perceived lightening of the front end.

The only down side is the noise. The car is very loud, the engine does not
have a cover. The headers and short exhaust system makes conversation difficult
at speed. Don't get me wrong, if I have the good fortune to drive the car
again, I won't hesitate. If I ever get to autocross it (big hint), I may become
addicted.

If you ever have an opportunity to ride in, or better yet, drive a V-8
powered Corvair, take it, it will be a great ride. If you own a V-8 powered Corvair,
I'm envious.

Thanks again Terry, a million thanks, it was an experience of a life time!

Ned

PS: Please respond in ALL CAPS as my hearing still hasn't completely returned
<G>