<VV> Exhaust Manirold studs

Frank DuVal corvairduval@cox.net
Mon, 03 May 2004 02:15:27 -0400

Russ:

When I try to remove a stud and it does not move with PB Blaster soaking
and back and forth turning with vise grips, I used to use a heat to dull
red and quinch with water method ( but this requires an oxy-acetalene
torch). This method works great on many fasteners, but has the unwanted
side effect of hardening the parts. This made the parts hard to drill if
needed. So now I just skip the heating step and cut off the stud even
with the manifold, center punch the stud and drill with the 5/16" drill
bit. This is the hole size needed for a 3/8 coarse tap. Sometimes the
stud piece will turn out while drilling. If not, just tap the hole.
Sometimes the stud piece will turn out while taping the hole, exposing
the original threads. Worst case will be if you didn't center the new
hole with the old hole and the stud piece turns out leaving an oval
hole, but I have had good success using these slightly oval holes. You
can always back up the new stud with a nut, or tack weld the new stud in
place with a mig welder. Welding works good when you have a broken/
missing ear. Use the proper size flange from an old crossover to align
the studs before welding. If you use the stainless steel studs, you do
not need to worry about how to replace them later.

Frank DuVal