<VV> Vapor Lock....Licked

Steven J. Serenska corvair@serenska.com
Mon, 03 May 2004 11:31:32 -0400

VVers:

I would like to thank everyone for helping me out with this issue.

I replaced the rubber fuel lines at the front and back of the tunnel as
well as the fuel pump.  I have taken the car out for several 30 minute
high-speed cruises on the Interstate and then shut it down.  When I
start it up a few minutes later, all seems fine.  No vapor lock.  I'm
pretty sure the issue had been a tired fuel pump.

Because VV now contains a searchable archives, I took the time to gather
everyone's suggestions about how to attack this problem.  If anyone does
a search in the future on "vapor lock", the following summary might help
as a "punch list" in addressing this issue:

In order of likeliest/easiest/cheapest to harder/more expensive, start
by replacing:

    * The rubber hose between the tank and the steel line in the tunnel
    * The rubber hose between the steel line and the engine
    * The fuel pump

If that doesn't work, take Chuck Armer's suggestion and drive
around without the gas cap to see if there's an indication of a possibly
clogged vent.

If that doesn't work, replace (or at least inspect):

    * The steel line that goes through the tunnel and over the transaxle
      up to the firewall.
    * The steel line in the engine compartment from the firewall to the
      fuel pump (remembering Ken Hand's suggestion to keep it away from
      the engine sheetmetal when reinstalling)

If that doesn't work, investigate/replace:

    * A potentially collapsed inlet sock on the sender unit (due to crud
      in the sock)
    * The engine seal, which could be letting too much heat into the
      engine compartment

If that doesn't work, it's going to be a long summer....keep a copy of
Moby Dick in the car to read during cool-downs.....

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Steven "has never been able to finish Moby Dick" Serenska