<VV> Engine Knock only at low RPMS

Brian Goldin bgoldin@esri.com
Wed, 5 May 2004 09:54:03 -0700

I was wondering this myself but I've always thought that broken cranks are
unlikely.  Once you get above the low RPM knock she revs up nicely and has
plenty of power.  Luckily the knock started when I was close to home so I
didn't dive it much after it started.

Another interesting note might be that it threw the fan belt at pretty much
the same time that the knock started.  This rarely happens and there might
be a correlation.  Another point to note is that I don't have a harmonic
balancer.

Is there a way to test for a broken crank without splitting the case?

Brian

  _____

From: BobHelt@aol.com [mailto:BobHelt@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 9:11 AM
To: bgoldin@esri.com; virtualvairs@corvair.org
Cc: fastvair@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: <VV> Engine Knock only at low RPMS

In a message dated 5/5/04 8:28:07 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
bgoldin@esri.com writes:

I'm wondering if it could be a cam or crank journal, the cam gear or
something in that area.  I've already swapped out the torque converter,
tranny and diff for another one that is known to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Running out of ideas,
Brian

Broken crank?