<VV> Oil Pump

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Wed, 5 May 2004 21:04:27 -0400

My 61 Monza had its oil-pressure switch mounted in a threaded hole on the
right side of the block at the factory. The engine of my 66 Corsa does not
have this hole. Could the engine you're replacing possibly be an Early?
Anyway, you can mount the switch either there or on the rear housing,
wherever you feel it's easier to replace when it starts leaking, as it
periodically does, sometimes quite suddenly. Of course, at the lower level
on the right side of the block, it will leak even with the engine off, while
atop the rear housing, it will leak only with the engine running.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Ewell Mills
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 8:35 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Oil Pump

I am in the process of rebuilding an engine for my 67 Monza.  It will be a
basically stock 110 engine with TRW .020 pistons.  The engine that I will be
replacing has a Hi-Volume oil pump that I could use, or I could use a stock
oil pump.  I would appreciate opinions on which I should use.  The engine
being replaced did run higher oil pressure than my totally stock other car
(110).  The car will be my daily driver, and on rare occasions club
sponsored
auto crosses. (I never win)

Also, the engine being replaced has an oil pressure take off on the right
side
of the engine.  I can find no documentation on how or why this was done.  It
was using the place on the rear housing that normally has the oil pressure
sending unit to mount an oil temperature sending unit that was wired to an
under dash gauge cluster that  had a water temperature gauge that never
appeared to be functional.  This is possibly why the oil pressure fitting
that
went to a mechanical oil pressure gauge was installed.  It always has seemed
to work just fine.  Since I plan to use a dual function oil pressure sending
unit in it's normal location, tapping into the side of the block would
eliminate a lot of plumbing to connect up my oil pressure gauge if it is
practical, and if I had information on exactly how it was done.  Input on
this
also appreciated.  Thanks.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.