<VV> Engine Knock only at low RPMS

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh@hotmail.com
Thu, 06 May 2004 01:30:34 +0000

Brian, it sounds like it knocks when there is load on the crank.  My guess
would have been a broken crank near the flywheel end, since that end of the
crank would be between the starter and the cylinders you played with.  On
the other hand, when you said it threw a belt I immediately thought of my
old 1960 2/3 Corvair (1960 from bumper to windshield, 1961 from there back)
that I had when I was in high school.  The crank broke across the cheek just
forward of the rearmost rod bearing.  When I stomped on the gas it would
immediately throw the belt, presumably as the tail end of the crank tipped
up slightly under load, tilting the pully.  Still have the end of the crank
(use it as a bookend).  I had diagnosed it as a rod bearing, and pulled the
top cover off to replace it one night.  With the top cover off, you can find
the break, as I did.
Good luck, and let us know what you find.

-- Doug Mackintosh
   Corsa member since 1996
   Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
   Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on

Brian Goldin wrote:
<<I've been pulling my hair out trying to diagnose an engine knock.  The
sound
is loud and only exists at RPMs up to about 1200.  I'm confident that it's
not detonation or a problem with connecting rods, wrist pin, broken skirt
etc....>>

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee.