<VV> Oil Pump

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Thu, 6 May 2004 10:03:30 -0400

Cecil,

Oil Pump:  Magnitude of pressure is measured is indeed dependent somewhat on
location.  However, in the main oil galleries as you describe or output from
pump, pressure measured ought to be about the same.  Higher pressure is
probably due to change in spring or spacer (like washers) between spring and
cup.

I use a stock pump with a bunch of spacers in front of hvy spring and have
mistakenly gotten enough pressure to 1.  Blow out oil filter gasket, and 2.
Ruin mechanical gauge... I normally have 70-80 psi cold in the race engines
with front cooler, big lines, and stock pump.

Nitriding is surface hardening and is done in a tank so it will cover all of
the crank AFAIK.  Primary benefit is in radiused areas of journals where it
helps prevent crack forming-which lead to bigger cracks, etc.

Chuck S
YS73

and would this possibly explain why this engine displayed such high oil
pressure.  Does the higher than normal oil pressure come from where it is
being checked, the high volume oil pump, or possibly modification of the oil
pressure regulator spring.  Also of interest is the fact that this engine
had
a solid pulley.  It has never given me trouble, but it is my understanding
that a solid pulley will contribute to a broken crankshaft as has been
discussed lately. (Since the car had it on it when I purchased it, I do not
know if it came on the car or was changed out).  I am also curious if this
in
any way corresponds to the fact that Turbo crankshaft were nitrated.  Would
nitrited crank be less subject to breakage?  I was under the opinion (very
possibly wrong) that a nitrited crank only applied to the throws, and not
the
entire crankshaft. Which is it?  Thanks again for the replies...it made my
decision easy.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.