<VV> head repairs

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Thu, 6 May 2004 13:57:49 EDT

Hi Mark,

You really don't want to put in a bushing as a fix for a number of reasons.
Here's why.  The main reason that seats drop is because of the different
thermal coefficient of expansion of steel and aluminum.  The aluminum expands more
than the steel as the temperature goes up.  In effect, both the inside
diameter of the hole in the aluminum and the outside diameter of the seat (or
bushing) grow with rising temperature but the aluminum grows more.  The press fit
weakens due to this effect.  The larger the initial diameter of these mated
surfaces, the worse the problem is.  This is why the 140 heads have the worst pr
oblem with dropped seats.  The valves and seats are larger diameter than other
heads.  Even though turbo heads get hotter, they have fewer dropped seats
because of the smaller diameter of the seats.  If you put in an even larger diameter
seat or bushing in a 140, you will almost guarantee another dropped seat.  If
you rework the heads, you should have deeper seats installed or use the
"Cromwell Method" that had a recent train here on VV.  In addition, this should be
done to all of the seats on the assumption that if one seat has dropped, one
or more of the others may soon follow.

Good luck,
Doc
'60 Vette; '61 Rampside; '64 Spyder; '65 Greenbrier; '66 Corsa; '67 Nova SS;
'68 Camaro ragtop