<VV> Engine Knock only at low RPMS

Mike Kost vairmike@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 06 May 2004 13:19:46 -0500

Tony wrote:

>At 0954 05/05/2004 -0700, Brian Goldin wrote:
>

>>Another interesting note might be that it threw the fan belt at pretty much
>>the same time that the knock started.  This rarely happens and there might
>>be a correlation.
>>

>Maybe...  look around to see if perhaps the flying fan belt might have smacked
>something and knocked it askew or loose, maybe rattling against a shroud part
>or something, anything, and possibly making a noise...?
>
>>Another point to note is that I don't have a harmonic
>>balancer.
>>

>Uh oh...   if your engine is a 145" version it's likely not a problem  but if
>it's a 164"... that's another matter, especially if it's a manual gearbox
>car.

I had a bad knock at low RPM in my `68 140 which I thought might be a
head problem. I tore the whole engine down and put it back together and
still had a knock (I did the initial tear down without pulling the
engine) at low RPM. When you turned the crank by hand it had a little
knock and erratic movement. I finally pulled the engine and found the
flywheel had loose bolts holding the flywheel to the crank. If I would
have pulled the engine to start with I might have saved a lot of work.

--
Mike Kost
Show-Me Corvair Club