<VV> RE: Basic clutch questions

Keith Hammett khammett@stainlessfab.com
Thu, 6 May 2004 13:49:39 -0500

Steve,

1.  If you remove the engine to do a throw out bearing I would suggest that
you also do the pressure plate, clutch, possibly the flywheel, and pilot
bearing at the same time.  Remember these were all installed at the same
time and have the same wear on them.  Not only that but if you don't do them
at the same time you run the risk of doing the job a second time!

2.  Dual master cylinders prevent total brake failure do to a line/wheel
cylinder leak.  A dual mc will not have an effect on the stopping
capabilities of the car.  If you do not replace your brake lines (remember
they are almost 40 years old) I would recomend that install a dual mc.  When
you pick up the '65 body from me you will be able to see how the lines are
routed (I left them in as I will put in new ones on the one I am restoring).

3.  Timing...Get a shop manual for your car, it will outline how to set your
timing and many other things you will need to know.  Remind me when you pick
up the body and I will show you my shop manual for the '65, the books I have
and vender catalogs.  If you haven't joined corsa I would suggest that you
do, so you can get the Communique, you can even look at a few of mine.  You
have a group in St. Louis that is active, contact them some might be willing
to help you out and show you the ropes (wish I had that option here).

Keith Hammett
'65 Monza Convert (long resto in process)
'62 Rampside (waiting for time to get it on the road)
'66 Monza Coupe (parts car)
'65 Monza Convert body (soon to be Steves)