<VV> Re: 65 VAN FROM HELL(very windy)

N2VZD@aol.com N2VZD@aol.com
Sat, 8 May 2004 06:28:34 EDT

well i dont try to take on anyone elses woes anymore but i got into this one
by default i guess.  it started out with offering space for a 65 van purchased
in fla to bring to central  ny and went sour early.it was delivered by
flatbed truck to my driveway  about 830 on a sunday nite(snow still here) left
sideways  without any attempt to notify me. i caught up with the slippery critters
driving the truck by running out the door in the dark flashing my camera at
them. anyhow after they left i moved it into the garage. it was then i figured
out why they were in a hurry to leave...it had no power..headgaskets hissed at
me like snakes,and lifters acted like the rockers were very loose..and the
clutch was jumpy and slipping. when i got it in the garage i found a broken belt
laying in the back.  well i just got finished redoing a nice low miles 65 95hp
engine, fixed bad bearings in the differential, and broken tap in tranny
mount. the real list is very long. anyhow if you contract someone to deliver a
vehicle make sure you know that they are not going to drive it 250 miles before
trucking it the rest of the way!!.(this was not the agreement!) the old engine
had 2 blown head gaskets, lifters fell apart and pieces were thruout the
engine etc. the final trial by fire was a bad NEW clutch disk..the wrong rivet
style installed and that was fun to figure out. it will be finished today after
about a month of work. pictures of this otherwise interesting 65 van are on the
website courtesy of thomas. thank you for reading this partial story of my
friends expeirience of woe.  this is not the way most corvair people treat each
other... regards, tim colson
http://www.corvair.de/n2vzd/