<VV> Head VS Engine Removal

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Sat, 8 May 2004 13:51:17 EDT

In a message dated 5/8/04 10:18:29 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
pottsf@msn.com writes:

> I would strongly advise removing ONLY the head. The chances that you will
> be
> able to ascertain and correct the problem doing only this are very good. If
> subsequent investigation encourages removing the whole engine (a
> possibility), having removed the head already does not in any way complicate
> removing the engine. This information does not involve speculation on my
> part; I've done all these jobs.

Hi Chief,
I strongly agree with Joe here as I have also had the experience (several
times).

But to add some more possibilities, let's look at the problem. Low
compression..60 #.

Could be a valve seat, but not likely in my opinion...compression is too
high. Could be a burned valve. Could be a pulled head stud causing a latent or
partial head gasket failure. Could be a broken ring (caused by detonation). Could
be a burned or deformed piston again caused by detonation. Could be a warped
cylinder. And worst of all, could be a wiped camshaft lobe, but not likely.
This covers most of the possibilities.

Now look at the situation. All of these problems (except the last) involve
the head, and maybe the piston and cylinder. These can easily be worked on with
the engine in the car (except for having to bend over when removing the rod
from the crank...ugh!).

So there you have it. Leave the engine in the car. The probability of it
being fixed this way is (IMHO) 90%.
Regards,
Bob Helt